Michigan’s 16 Electoral College votes are critical to winning the White House in 2020.
In 2016, Democrats didn’t get enough voters in traditional Democratic strongholds—and lost crucial votes in rural parts of Michigan. Gaining back support in these areas—and statewide—is essential for winning Michigan—and holding the US Senate and House seats.
Plus, Michigan Democrats could take back the state’s House of Representatives from Republicans for the first time since 2010—we just need four state house seats! This will provide Governor Whitmer with support in the legislature, and help overturn gerrymandering.
In the state house, Swing Left is currently targeting seven districts—five GOP-held seats and two Democratic holds. Geographically, Swing Left targets are distributed across the state, with the majority surrounding the metro Detroit area. Four GOP incumbents in target districts are being term-limited out of office, giving Democrats an opportunity to flip the chamber in 2020 and protect the integrity of Michigan’s independent redistricting process in 2021.
We need your help for Democrats to win big in Michigan in 2020!
- Short video about Super State Michigan
- Short video about the importance of flipping the Michigan State House
- About Michigan State House candidates here
- About flipping Michigan here, or download the PDF here
Why Phone Bank?
- After door-to-door canvassing, phone banking is the most effective way to connect with voters, clean voter lists, and do voter identification.
- Canvassing is on hold during the pandemic, so calling is even more important.
- This strategy provides the opportunity for personal, real-time conversations. It allows us to make real-time connections with voters, ask questions, and collect valuable information for campaigns.
- Phone banking helps identify supporters, recruit volunteers, deliver yard signs, get out the vote, clean up phone lists, and more.
- Allows campaigns and state Democratic parties gather critical data and target their resources.
- It’s critical for getting out the vote and reaching rural voters.
- Builds community.
- It is practical and cost effective—anyone can phone bank from home without having to travel.
Find everything you need to get started in the Michigan Phone Bank Guide. Includes more about Open Virtual Phone Bank (Open VPB), how to sign up for a phone bank, how to get an Action ID, best practices and tips, FAQs, and a host of resources (including sign up links for other phone banks, including Michigan Dems). Also available at www.tinyurl.com/michiganphonebankguide.
Don’t worry if you have not done this before!
Almost all state parties and campaigns have a short training before their virtual phone banks. An organizer will send information about how to get set up and train you on the script. That person will also be available (by Zoom, email, and/or text) during your shift, to answer questions and offer assistance.
NEW! Virtual Voter Registration with New Michiganders
- Virtual Voter Registration with New Michiganders. These are easy voter registration “chase” calls to Michigan’s rising America electorate, including voters of color, younger voters, and female voters. Calls are made on a virtual phone bank system, and Midwest-friendly script and training is provided! Program via StateWide Indivisible Michigan (SWIM) and Rust Belt Rising. Learn more here.
- Virtual phone banks are Tuesday and Thursday from 6-8 pm ET and Saturday 11-1 pm ET. Sign up for shifts here.
- These are easy calls, great for new dialers!
Dialing for Michigan State House Candidates
Flip a Michigan State House seat, and maximize your impact up and down the ballot!
Plus, a blue State House means overturning gerrymandering in Michigan, addressing environmental issues and groundwater contamination, and increasing funding for Michigan schools, healthcare, and infrastructure—as well as many other important issues.
Join 1000 Hours to Win in Michigan! Groups and individuals “adopt” a candidate and commit to regular phone banking.
- Learn more about 1000 Hours to Win here and here
- Find 1000 Hours to Win candidate phone banks on this calendar and group page
- Learn more about the candidates at the Michigan State House Candidate Guide
- Log 1000 Hours to Win hours here
- Virtual Voter Registration (8 Million Voter Project)
- Dialing with Julia Pulver’s campaign (MI HD-39)
- Dialing with Nicole Breadon’s campaign (MI HD-43)
- 1000 Hours to Win candidate phone banks
- Short video about Super State Michigan
- Short video about the importance of flipping the Michigan State House, and why we’re dialing for candidates
- Watch this excellent Swing Left video (about 10 minutes) on virtual phone banks, OpenVPB, and how to set up ActionIDs. Also available at www.tinyurl.com/slopenvpbvideo
- Why phone bank? Rebecca tells all in this short video
- Missed the Swing Left San Francisco Phone Banking for Introverts training? Watch the video here
- See the Resource section of the Michigan Phone Bank Guide for training videos and much more
Host/Post a Michigan Virtual Phone Bank (VPB)