Michigan’s 16 Electoral College votes are critical to winning the White House in 2020.
In 2016, Democrats didn’t get enough voters in traditional Democratic strongholds—and lost crucial votes in rural parts of Michigan. Gaining back support in these areas—and statewide—is essential for winning Michigan—and holding the US Senate and House seats.
Plus, Michigan Democrats could take back the state’s House of Representatives from Republicans for the first time since 2010—we just need four state house seats! This will provide Governor Whitmer with support in the legislature, and help overturn gerrymandering.
In the state house, Swing Left is currently targeting seven districts—five GOP-held seats and two Democratic holds. Geographically, Swing Left targets are distributed across the state, with the majority surrounding the metro Detroit area. Four GOP incumbents in target districts are being term-limited out of office, giving Democrats an opportunity to flip the chamber in 2020 and protect the integrity of Michigan’s independent redistricting process in 2021.
We need your help for Democrats to win big in Michigan in 2020!
Learn more about flipping Michigan here.
Why Phone Bank?
- After door-to-door canvassing, phone banking is the most effective way to connect with voters, clean voter lists, and do voter identification.
- Canvassing is on hold during the pandemic, so calling is even more important.
- This strategy provides the opportunity for personal, real-time conversations. It allows us to make real-time connections with voters, ask questions, and collect valuable information for campaigns.
- Phone banking helps identify supporters, recruit volunteers, deliver yard signs, get out the vote, clean up phone lists, and more.
- Allows campaigns and state Democratic parties gather critical data and target their resources.
- It’s critical for getting out the vote and reaching rural voters.
- Builds community.
- It is practical and cost effective—anyone can phone bank from home without having to travel.
Find everything you need to get started in the Michigan Phone Bank Guide. Includes more about Open Virtual Phone Bank (Open VPB), how to sign up for a phone bank, how to get an Action ID, best practices and tips, FAQs, and a host of resources (including sign up links for other phone banks, including Michigan Dems). Also available at www.tinyurl.com/michiganphonebankguide.
Don’t worry if you have not done this before!
Almost all state parties and campaigns have a short training before their virtual phone banks. An organizer will send information about how to get set up and train you on the script. That person will also be available (by Zoom, email, and/or text) during your shift, to answer questions and offer assistance.
Dialing for Michigan State House Candidates
Flip a Michigan State House seat, and maximize your impact up and down the ballot!
Plus, a blue State House means overturning gerrymandering in Michigan, addressing environmental issues and groundwater contamination, and increasing funding for Michigan schools, healthcare, and infrastructure—as well as many other important issues.
1000 Hours to Win
Join 1000 Hours to Win in Michigan! Program goals include increased phone bank participation and habit-forming dialing with curated phone bank opportunities—plus a little friendly competition. What’s not to love?
Groups and individuals can “adopt” a candidate and make calls for them each week. Even if you don’t live in the district, you will have a huge impact on helping voters make a decision and get to the polls in November or vote absentee in October.
Pick a candidate, set a goal, and let’s crush our goal of 1,000 hours of phone banking. Let’s flip-the-house together!
- Find 1000 Hours to Win candidate phone banks on this calendar and group page
- Learn more about the candidates at the Michigan State House Candidate Guide
- Also at www.tinyurl.com/micandidatephonebanks
- Log 1000 Hours to Win hours here
- Bookmark SWIM 1000 Hours page here
- Dialing for Nicole Breadon’s campaign (MI HD-43) every Mon. 5-7 pm! Sign up here. Don’t just dial for Nicole—dial *with* Nicole! Really—Nicole phone banks with us and she’s awesome! Scheduling exception: virtual phone bank on the last week of the month will be Wednesday, not Monday, since our monthly update meeting is on the last Monday.
- 1000 Hours to Win candidate phone banks on this calendar and group page
- Michigan Dems One Campaign Out-of-State Volunteer Virtual Phone Banks here
- Watch this excellent Swing Left video (about 10 minutes) on virtual phone banks, OpenVPB, and how to set up ActionIDs. Also available at www.tinyurl.com/slopenvpbvideo
- Why phone bank? Rebecca tells all in this short video
- Missed the Swing Left San Francisco Phone Banking for Introverts training? Watch the video here.
- See the Resource section of the Michigan Phone Bank Guide for training videos and much more