Grab your favorite beverage, print 20 Vote Forward letters for Michigan, and queue up a documentary or film set in Michigan!
How Do I Write Letters?
If you need more information (beyond what’s on the Vote Forward web site), check out this site.
What If I Don’t Have a Printer?
Normally we can print and mail or deliver a set—but our antique laser printer died and we have not had time to replace it.
We have not tried it, but copy centers like Staples, UPS, FedEx Kinkos, etc. offer curbside pickup, as well as delivery by mail. We have uploaded files and picked up before, and it is very convenient—but have not tried the curbside pickup or delivery by mail.
I Do Not Want to Go Outside to Buy Supplies or Stamps. What Do You Suggest?
No worries, same same! Be safe out there. You can order envelopes and paper online from vendors (e.g., Staples, OfficeMax, etc.) You can also buy stamps online here.
Do I Have to Rent the Film?
Yes. Due to licensing issues, we have not found a way for everyone to watch the film at the same time, without paying for a virtual screen room. We do try and find films that are available with multiple streaming/rental options.
How Do I Suggest a Film?
Do tell! Please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
What We’re Watching
- Slay the Dragon (2019)
- About gerrymandering in Michigan, Wisconsin, and beyond.
- Film web site (includes how to rent, support theaters, and buy DVD)
- Sister District and Indivisible Chicago have both hosted outstanding post-film discussions. Why not queue up your own home viewing, then tune in for a (recorded) virtual discussion? More here.
- Flint: Poisoning of an American City (2019)
- Roger and Me (1989)
- Detroitopia (2012)
- Losing Detroit (2018)
- About: Detroit suffered, perhaps more than any other city, from unfathomable levels of tax and mortgage foreclosure. Losing Detroit profiles residents fighting to keep their homes as investors try to scoop them up for cheap.
- Rent it on Amazon (unfortunately the only place we can find to rent it right now)
- United States of Detroit (2017)
- Variety of options here
Sending a Vote Forward letter is one of the easiest things you can do to increase election turnout. It only takes a couple of minutes and a stamp to meaningfully increase the odds that a fellow citizen will vote.
- Learn more at www.thebigsend.org and in this short video.
- Sign up for a Vote Forward account here (if you do not have one already)
- Here are the movie night/letter writing slides (back when we used to do a Zoom call event)
- More Michigan events at the Swing Left Greater Boston calendar and www.swingleft.org/group/michigan.
- Interested in phone banking? Check out the Michigan phone bank guide, including opportunities to dial for Michigan state house candidates, Michigan Dems, voter protection, and virtual voter registration!
- More at letter writing from home here and hosting virtual letter writing parties here
Need More Information/Have Questions?
- Email email@example.com