The For the People Act of 2021 (HR 1/S 1) is a bold and comprehensive package of reforms guaranteeing the right to vote. Democrats are pressing forward with the bill to counteract voter suppression efforts in GOP-held state legislatures, limit money in politics to ensure clean elections, and expand ballot access by, for example, expanding early voting and voting by mail. Passage is assured in the House, probably this week, but the outcome in the Senate is far less certain. Despite data showing the nationwide popularity of the bill’s provisions, Senate Republicans have signalled that they will attempt to filibuster the bill to stop it from becoming law.
Turn up the pressure to pass HR 1/S 1. Visit this comprehensive dashboard to get started. A few options:
- Ask your family, friends, and networks beyond DC to contact their US senators and House members to urge support for HR 1/S 1. Give them a link they can use to write a letter to the editor of their local paper.
- Post support for the bill on your social media accounts. You can repost NOPE’s Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram postings about the bill to amplify the message.
- Join the peer-to-peer texting program of End Citizens United and Let America Vote.
- Join the For the People phonebank of Common Cause.
- Pick up postcards in Cambridge on March 6