Why Work on A Local Election in a Different State?
Swing Left Greater Boston is now focusing on GOTV in local elections across the country, elections that really matter, even to you. Why?
- City and state officials lay the foundation for our future: Judges interpret laws. State representatives draw legislative maps.
- Every local vote counts, and when people feel they make a difference, they are more likely to vote at a national level.
- Local reforms can catch on at the national level. (Think Massachusetts and the Affordable Care Act).
- New voters can have a huge impact on presidential elections, which recently have been decided on a very narrow margin. (Think 2000, when Florida’s vote came down to 537 votes.)
- Local candidates become local elected officials, the cadre of politicians who will become the next generation of government leaders.
Yes, when it comes down to it, all politics is local.